- The Golden Boot goes to the player with the most goals in the FIFA World Cup.
- In the event of a tie, the award goes to the player with more assists.
- U.S. Forward Alex Morgan and England Forward Ellen White are currently tied, with six goals. It will come down to tomorrow's match, USA vs. France.
There's the simple answer, and the more complicated one.
The adidas Golden Boot goes to the player with the most goals in the FIFA World Cup. The tradition is relatively new, as the first award was given in 1982. At the time, it was called the Golden Shoe, but apparently someone very important in the soccer world thought a boot was more prestigious. And so, it was renamed the Golden Boot in 2010. There are five additional tournament awards:
- The adidas Golden Ball, awarded to the top player
- The adidas Golden Glove, awarded to the top goalkeeper
- The Hyundai Best Young Player, awarded to the best player under 21 years old at the start of the calendar year
- The FIFA Fair Play Trophy, awarded to a team that advanced to the second round with the best record of (you guessed it!) fair play
- The Budweiser Man of the Match Award, for outstanding performance during each game in the tournament
But back to the Golden Boot, an overall top scorer begs an obvious question: But what if more than one player scores the same number of goals in the tournament? In the event of a tie, penalty goals are not in your favor. The Golden Boot will go to the player without a penalty goal. If no one has a penalty goal to their game, the Golden Boot goes to the player with more assists. If there is still a tie, the Golden Boot will be awarded to the player with the least amount of time on the field, following the logic that they have a higher goal average. All of this is determined by the FIFA Technical Study Group.
Alex Grimm - FIFAGetty Images
This year's Women's World Cup prospects are already whittled down to two contenders: Alex Morgan for the United States and England's Ellen White. Both players have six goals so far in the tournament, giving Team USA's final face-off against France an interesting subplot.
Molly Darlington - AMAGetty Images
Morgan has an advantage over White, as she has three assists and White has none. Megan Rapinoe, with five goals and three assists, is a strong contender for second place.
Stay updated on the latest science-backed health, fitness, and nutrition news by signing up for the Prevention.com newsletter here. For added fun, follow us on Instagram.
Who Will Win the 2019 World Cup Golden Boot?, Source:https://www.prevention.com/life/a28308317/world-cup-golden-boot-2019/